Child Support

Generally, the amount of child support to be paid by one parent to the other is determined by the South Carolina Child Support Guidelines.  The child support payor must continue to do so until the child is emancipated.  Emancipation occurs when the child reaches the age of eighteen or graduates high school, whichever is latest.  The amount of child support and the age at which child support terminates can both be changed by agreement.   The court however must find that the agreement is in the best interest of the children.

Child support also may be modified if the party requesting the modification is able to show a substantial and material change in circumstances or a substantial change in the financial ability of either party.  If you are seeking child support or a change in child support, contact the attorneys at Grand Strand Law Group to help assist you.